Get the free version of Marbridge Daily delivered to your inbox

Click here to subscribe

Funtalk, China Unicom Partner on Wo Brand 3G Sales

Sina Tech, 6/30/11

China Unicom (NYSE: CHU; 0762.HK; 600050.SH) and Chinese mobile phone distributor Funtalk (Nasdaq: FTLK) announced today that they had signed a strategic partnership agreement under which Funtalk will open Unicom service counters and product display areas at its 800 stores nationwide. The two companies will also cooperate on promoting Unicom's "Wo" brand 3G service, including offering number activation services and 3G handsets such as the iPhone and LePhone, ultimately expanding to handle 2G handset sales and fixed-line and broadband services.

China Unicom has more than 20,000 service centers around China at present, approximately 18,000 of which are capable of handling 3G services. The operator has also partnered with 3C retail chains including Suning (002024.SZ), Gome (0493.HK), and Best Buy subsidiary Five Star Appliance. Unicom service centers and other self-operated channels account for roughly 60% of its 3G service channels, with channel partners accounting for the remaining 40%. Li Gengxin, Unicom's deputy GM of sales, said that the operator hopes for channel partners to account for a greater percentage of its channel resources in the future.

Keywords: China Unicom iPhone handset retail wireless 3G 0762.HK 600050.SH CHU Funtalk FTLK LePhone Li Gengxin smartphone


Please note, all fields are required.
None of your personal information will be shared with third parties.



The information contained in this newsletter is based upon sources that Marbridge Consulting believes to be reliable, and we have made every effort to translate the original articles or article excerpts as faithfully as possible. However, Marbridge Consulting makes no warranty of and assumes no legal responsibility for the accuracy of either the original source material or the English language translations.

Marbridge Daily Premium

Interested in gaining full access to all newsletter articles and the Marbridge Daily archive? To learn more about premium subscription options, including pricing, please:

Click here

Marbridge Consulting RSS Feed

Marbridge Reports