Get the free version of Marbridge Daily delivered to your inbox

Click here to subscribe

China Unicom: 75% of 3G Procurements for Handsets

C114, 12/22/09

At the 2010 Communications Industry Technology Annual Conference underway today in Beijing, Zhang Zhijiang, GM of China Unicom's (NYSE: CHU; 0762.HK; 600050.SH) technology division, revealed that handsets account for 75% of China Unicom's WCDMA terminal procurement, followed by data cards (15%) and netbooks (10%). Zhang said that high-end handsets (priced at RMB 3,000 or more) account for 37% of handset procurement orders, while mid-range handsets account for the remaining 63%. 8% of procured handsets run Windows Mobile, 16% use the Symbian mobile OS, and 4% use Apple's iPhone OS, while the rest operate either BREW or the manufacturer's self-owned OS. 29% of handsets procured by China Unicom use 3GPP Release 4 (UMTS) or Release 99, while 55% are Release 5 (supports IMS/HSDPA) and 16% are Release 6 (supports IMS, HSDPA and HSUPA).

Editor's Note: Zhang also said at the conference that the number of China Unicom 3G subscribers has exceeded 2 mln since the official commercial launch on October 1. As of the end of November, WCDMA networks had been deployed in 300 Chinese cities, and China Unicom expects coverage to reach 350 cities by the end of this year.

Keywords: Communications Industry Technology Annual Conference operator-customized handset China Unicom mobile OS handset procurement wireless 3G HSDPA HSUPA UMTS WCDMA 0762.HK 600050.SH CHU smartphone 3.5G netbook data card mobile subscribers


Please note, all fields are required.
None of your personal information will be shared with third parties.



The information contained in this newsletter is based upon sources that Marbridge Consulting believes to be reliable, and we have made every effort to translate the original articles or article excerpts as faithfully as possible. However, Marbridge Consulting makes no warranty of and assumes no legal responsibility for the accuracy of either the original source material or the English language translations.

Marbridge Daily Premium

Interested in gaining full access to all newsletter articles and the Marbridge Daily archive? To learn more about premium subscription options, including pricing, please:

Click here

Marbridge Consulting RSS Feed

Marbridge Reports