Get the free version of Marbridge Daily delivered to your inbox

Click here to subscribe

Alibaba-invested Courier Firm Stars Express Bankrupt

iFeng Tech, 3/05/12

Chen Ping, founder of Beijing-based express delivery service Stars Express, has revealed in a text message that the company has gone bankrupt, with investor B2B e-commerce company (1688.HK) losing RMB 70 mln and Chen losing RMB 50 mln.

According to a logistics industry insider, Stars made repeated overtures to be acquired in the past several months, has shuttered its operational hubs nationwide including those in Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, and Shanxi, and sold its vehicle fleet and computers and other office equipment.

iFeng Tech could not reach any Stars representatives at either the main switchboard or regional extensions, though the website is still online. was unavailable for comment.

Stars Express began operations in March 2009, with founder Chen Ping holding a 51% stake in the company, while the remaining 49% was held by senior management and two outside investors. Chen founded Stars Express in late 2008 when he was 50 years old, after selling RMB 20 mln in shares in Beijing-based logistics firm ZJS Express, which he also founded.

Editor's Note: For more information on this topic, please see "Alibaba to Invest in Express Delivery Company," MD 3/18/10 and "Alibaba Invests in Beijing Delivery Firm," MD 3/30/10 issues.

Keywords: Chen Ping B2B e-commerce Internet 1688.HK Stars Express logistics


Please note, all fields are required.
None of your personal information will be shared with third parties.



The information contained in this newsletter is based upon sources that Marbridge Consulting believes to be reliable, and we have made every effort to translate the original articles or article excerpts as faithfully as possible. However, Marbridge Consulting makes no warranty of and assumes no legal responsibility for the accuracy of either the original source material or the English language translations.

Marbridge Daily Premium

Interested in gaining full access to all newsletter articles and the Marbridge Daily archive? To learn more about premium subscription options, including pricing, please:

Click here

Marbridge Consulting RSS Feed

Marbridge Reports