Netease Game, 4/16/14
Chinese internet and mobile services firm Tencent (0700.HK) announced at the Tencent Interactive Entertainment 2014 Annual Press Conference six upcoming mobile games that it will release shortly. The newly announced games include:
1. Chibi Luanwu (formerly Sangokushi Rumble): A mobile Three Kingdoms-themed tower defense card game developed by Japan's Square Enix. Closed beta testing kicked off on April 16.
2. Taming Monsters: A mobile 3D RPG developed by South Korea's CJ Entertainment and Media (CJ E&M). Open beta testing is expected to launch in May.
3. Quanmin Xuanwu: A mobile 3D casual dancing game developed by Beijing-based Horizon 3D. Open beta testing of the iOS and Android versions of the game kicked off on April 16.
4. We Fight (Tiantian Xuandou): A self-developed mobile fighting game adapted from Tencent's MMOFTG (Massive Multiplayer Online Fighting Game) Core Fight. Open beta testing will launch in May.
5. Quanmin Gedou: A self-developed mobile 2D fighting game.
6. Candy Crush Saga: Mobile tile-matching puzzle game developed by UK-based King Digital Entertainment.
All six of the games will be released on Tencent's Mobile QQ and WeChat (Weixin) mobile messaging apps' gaming centers.
Tencent executive VP Steven Ma revealed at the press conference that, as of February 2014, the number of daily active accounts on Tencent's mobile gaming platform had surpassed 100 mln. According to third-party industry reports, China's mobile gaming market will reach RMB 50 bln within three years, representing 1/3 of China's entire gaming market. Mobile games will account for 80% of Tencent's newly licensed and self-developed games in 2014, according to Ma.
Editor's Note: For more background on this topic, please see "Tencent Licenses Mobile Card Game from Square Enix" MD 1/16/14 issue, "Tencent Licenses 'Taming Monsters' from CJ E&M" MD 3/26/14 issue and "Tencent Releases Mobile Dancing Game" MD 4/10/14 issue. To help gaming enterprises and industry analysts gain a comprehensive overview of China's major mobile game developers, publishers, distribution platforms, mobile games, and mobile game industry M&A deals and partnerships, Marbridge has recently released its Q1 2014 Chinese Mobile Gaming Industry Matrix.
Keywords: We Fight Quanmin Gedou mobile gaming Square Enix wireless Tencent Mobile QQ CJ Entertainment 0700.HK Core Fight Horizon 3D WeChat Sangokushi Rumble Candy Crush Taming Monsters Quanmin Xuanwu Steven Ma King Ltd self-developed game licensed game mobile IM