Sohu IT, 9/23/08
China's State Administration of Radio Film and Television (SARFT) is currently actively preparing to establish its mobile television company. Key components of its plan include:
1. The "China Satellite Mobile Broadcasting Corporation (CSMBC)" will be established as a central government-level corporation.
2. Costs for the entire CMMB plan will total in the billions of yuan.
3. SARFT will oversee the production, integration and operation of CMMB programming, and will issue licenses for CMMB program integration and online transmissions. It also plans to establish 338 content integration platforms at the central government, directly-administered municipality, and local city levels, and a unified national client resource management and encrypted operations system.
4. At present, users can view 7 channels free of charge as well as 2 advertising-supported channels. These 9 channels will remain free of charge for the next 3-5 years.
5. 145 terminal manufacturers have joined the CMMB Alliance.